Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Detachment

I can't believe I haven't written in a week. Time just feels like it's flying. I feel detached from my life right now, like I'm watching it all happen from afar.

I made it through another Wednesday sufferfest workout. I am so exhausted now. The past week hasn't been too pleasant on the bike. I rode FOUR+ ridiculous hours in the arctic temps and gusty wind on Saturday, and my feet are still cold from it. They've now got this permanent purplish tint to them. I'm losing my appetite for riding in the frigid weather. Last year I said it, and this year I'll say it again: I SHOULD GO AWAY SOMEWHERE WARM TO RIDE DURING MY FEBRUARY VACATION. That's it. Next year, I'm gone. I should've just dropped the hat, thrown my bike in the car, and headed south yesterday. Oh well.

Let's see, other highlights I've seen in my existence this week...

NEBRA banquet. Diane was there, and she looked good! The IF gals were there, a couple teammates, some other acquaintances - good to see them again. Gave me a fleeting shot of motivation. Let's hope the NEBRA folks get a new DJ for next year...
Worth the price of admission: seeing Tom dressed up in a black jacket and collared shirt with his shoulder-length curly locks down. (Yes, news flash to those who could barely catch a glimpse of him as he darted around at Nats, the ponytail is history. And shit, I hope he doesn't read this. ;-)

Saw a MOVIE. Yes, I actually sat still (well, still except for eating a candy bar and hot chocolate - I can't possibly be expected not to eat during the entire length of a feature film) for the whole thing. Capote had me riveted. I'm hardly qualified to be a film critic, but the emotional tension I felt watching the last part of the movie - it moved me, for lack of better words. It was actually a bit emotionally exhausting! Awesome acting by the guy who played Capote, whoever he was. (See how in touch I am with movies and tv?)

Fixed up the fixed. Yup, the fixed gear is back in commission. Ready for commuting to my evening class at New England Conservatory starting next week.

Read. Almost done with Snow Falling on Cedars. I'm kind of on a Japanese-theme kick after loving Memoirs of a Geshia. I found a novel by Elliot Perlman at Porter Sq Books called Seven Types of Ambiguity. (Not Japanese.) The book's divided into 7 sections and in each part the story has a different narrator, altering the story by casting it from a new perspective. I can't wait to start it, but must finish one before starting another. I'm trying to break myself of my unfocused habit of starting 100 projects and never seeing most to completion.

Ok, I can hardly recall anything else of note that I've observed myself doing from a distance.
Happy riding. :)

1 comment:

M_A_T_T said...

You should have come down here . . .we did another 3.5 hours out in horse country! It was a little chilly today though . . .55 and not a cloud in the sky!