Friday, June 08, 2007

Philly!

I'll be racing in the BMW-Bianchi colors this Sunday at the Liberty Classic in Philadelphia! Thanks so much to Missy and Laura for letting me have a spot on their team!

Overview (from race website)
Over 100 elite, international women cyclists will compete in the 14th annual Liberty Classic. The 57.6-mile race consists of four laps of a 14.4-mile circuit through Philadelphia with 4 steep climbs up the grueling Manayunk Wall. The Liberty Classic is the final leg of the 2007 Commerce Bank Triple Crown of Cycling for women and is held during the men’s International Championship on the same course.

Race Date
Sunday, June 10, 2007

Official Start Time
9:10 a.m.

Course Description
The course begins and ends on the fast and flat Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and makes its way along scenic Kelly Drive to Manayunk where riders must face the infamous, and steep 17% grade Manayunk Wall each lap.

Purse
$26,000

Distance
56 miles

I crashed before Manayunk last year, was forced to chase, and finally just got pulled. I felt awesome and had great legs that day, but a successful race also sometimes takes a little luck. Right now I don't really have the fitness I had last year. I started training a few weeks later and as a result, have only done 2 base cycles and one short intensity cycle. I've only done 2 weeks of interval training. I've also only done 4 elite level races! (Well, that's because I have a job and can't take time off to travel to races, nor can I afford it, but not because of a lack of training. ;-) It may take more than a little luck for me to have a good result, but if I can put myself in the right position, perhaps anything's possible.

Time to clean and check my bike and wheels, pack the car and prepare for a very early morning departure!

Check out some of J. S. McElvery's race pics from last year to tide you over. :)

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Congrats on a great performance in Philly! It was so fun to see your pic on cyclingnews.

Good luck at the NRC races this weekend!